Great thread, gentlemen. Just couldn't remain lurking in the bushes. Clearly, many of us suffer (enjoy) the same rimfire affliction. I presently house and feed four SA 54s. (A fifth was sacrificed for textbook money in the 70s. Still, I weep...) All are in the skip-line, roll-over, configuration. I like the looks of the conservative low-combs, but shoot mine better. (Better cheekweld with scopes.) All have been in long rifle, except for the lone .22Mag that has been my favorite companion in the squirrel woods since1970ish. All are sub-minute with their favorite loads. (All shoot groups up to four times larger with disfavored ammo. You simply must experiment!) I have, or had, 52Sporters, Kimbers, Sakos, et al., but still most often choose a 54 when the harem is summoned. The earlier rifles, as noted, are older, rarer, and more more painful in the purchase, but have not proven any better shooters (variations on perfection?). BTW, the Savage-marked rifles tend to be priced lower thanidentical "pure" Anschutz models. Also, the current Anschutz production is MUCH more expensive, even though now lacking the banded sights and that beautiful sculptured trigger guard. I don't believe you will be displeased with a good condition SA 54. (BTW, still lusting after a full-stocked 1730 series. Just unwilling to ante-up...) Pax