It all depends on how much weight you can carry/drag/drive. I have 3 levels of heated shelter:

1. A heavy canvas (10 oz) sunforger canvas wall tent. 8x10, with a 3 dog stove. For two people I really like this set-up. Weight is about 60lbs combined. Keeps us warm down to -40. $500 tent, $300 stove. Started with internal conduit frame but moved to internal 2x4 frame.

2. A lighter wall tent (8oz I think) and homemade stove of 8 inch stove pipe. Still 8x10. Total weight of both is about 15 lbs. Only use this in spring/fall down to -10 or so. $400 tent, $20? stove. We use external spruce poles for a frame.

3. I bought a single wall tarp shelter off the Fire from Ed T and am going to make a roll up Ti stove. Total weight under 5 lbs. I'm looking forward to mountain hunting and ski tripping with this rig. $150 tent, $60? stove. Ski poles or hiking poles for "frame."

If you are going for the heavy permanent set up, nothing beats a plywood platform/floor to keep you up off the snow/frozen ground. We leave the platform in the same spot year round and drag home the tent/stove at the end of the winter season. UV rays from the sun are the single hardest thing on canvas (besides burning embers!). A tarp fly is really nice to stop embers and sun.

If you'd like more info, send me a PM. I've got lots to ramble on about dealing with wall tents, platforms, frames, stoves, etc.