Originally Posted by kcTbear
Originally Posted by leftybolt
I find, that the light weights(because of the fact that the scope tube doesn't fit flush in the bottom of the rings until you begin tightening screws) do tend to leave unsightly ring marks(indentations)on the scope tube.
Leftybolt

I don't know about anyone else, but every single set of Ruger rings I've owned do this. The scope practically snaps into the well. A guarantee for scratches for every scope I've owned aside from the Conquest; their anodized holds up pretty well.

Yep - a learning experience for me. I have mounted and unmounted probably 25 scopes in my time using Leupold rings mostly. Don't recall finding a ring mark on any scope I've removed. This w/e had to remove a new Minox scope purchased here on the fire (there's another story there - loose eyepiece - point of aim shift, etc.). I had it mounted in Talley Lightweights that are almost universally praised wherever you look. Upon removal of the scope I found not only ring marks but actual dents in the tube - 4 of them - 1 near each ring gap. As mentioned above, I'm not new to this. I use scope alignment bars that should point out any massive problems with the rings or the receiver mounting holes. I used a Wheeler Engineering FAT to tighten the ring caps to 15-20 inch/lbs. Although I don't remember having to push the scope down into the bottom halves of the rings, I do remember the bottom of the ring "grabbing" the scope. When I go to pack the scope in the original box I find a warning about overtightening scope rings voiding the Minox warranty !?!?! Anyway, I've contacted Talley via their website describing my concerns but after reading some of the posts here it seems like a known issue. Is this just part of the joy of using Talley rings?

Last edited by releehweoj; 12/17/12.