Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
One is a money maker, one is a money loser. I talked to an "anonymous source" inside Ruger a couple of months ago and he mentioned the 556. The 556 has been a miserable failure for Ruger. The discussion of canning it has been an internal issue at Ruger LONG before this particular incident. If they can it, it�s for monetary reasons more than political. If they announce it now, then that�s pretty chitty of Ruger for gun owners and the industry in general.

I hope your double-secret-probation source is better than ringworm's.

Travis

Honestly not so much a �source� as someone I shared a meal with some months back. We�re not buddies and I wouldn�t feel like I could just call him up and ask him questions. But at dinner we did talk guns quite a bit. He is a Browning Hi Power fan, so he did much of the question asking and me the answering. He�s in their finance department, so he�s not an engineer or anything like that. But I did ask him about how well the 556 was selling because I personally didn�t see it as attractively priced, and that�s the story he gave me�.FWIW. I don�t see any reason why he would lie to me, but he could just be wrong. Anecdotally though, I find his side of things very plausible. I don�t know ANYONE who has a Ruger 556, nor do I know anyone who even wants one. On various forums, you rarely if ever see mention of them, so that tells me that his story makes sense to me at least.