WN,

Glad you had a good experience. Many have tried that, got the parts in and found that it was hard to lever, or had some other quirk. Changing the geometry can have unexpected results. I work on gun a lot, but didn't wish to tackle the '73. The guys that do this all the time have it worked out.

I have two '73's, one a full house carbine by Pioneer with their special carbine band front sight. The other is a short rifle by Cody Conagher, both with short strokes. Cody welds his own, probably using a jig, whereas Pioneer has an in house made CNC machined kit that they use. To me, the Pioneer gun isn't as loose as the Cody gun and it's the one I use. They're both slick and fast.

Most CAS shooters evolve to the .38 Spec. after starting with larger calibers. The only reason I can think of for using over .40 rounds is the classes that call for the larger caliber. And I don't shoot is those classes.

The '73 is COAL critical due to its design. To gain the .357 COAL, using .38 Spec brass, I use Moulton Lead, 147 gr. bullets. They are long and when seated in a .38 Spec. case, result in a .357 COAL. Most '73's will cycle a .38 Spec, but work better, IMHO, with a .357 COAL. The shorter round has to be cammed back into the mag tube as the gun cycles. Less camming, slicker the stroke.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/28/12.