Gary O: I had occassion a few weeks ago to take some fresh 5 point Bull Elk Filet Mignon (the tenderest most forward cuts of the true tenderloin!) out to the west coast and prepare an evening meal for my mother, brother and oldest son.
They simply raved about the taste and tenderness of that recently harvested meat!
I was impressed myself.
It seems this Elk was one of the multitudes who due to Wolf predation and the incredible over-abundance of Wolves of recent had taken up residence on a cultivated pasture belonging to a huge ranch complex.
According to my friend the ranch manager the Elk had been there all fall and had been feeding predominantly on alfalfa stubble.
I have been eating wild game for over 50 years now, most of which I harvested myself, and I previously held the opinion that Cow Elk noticeably taste better than Bull Elk - but now I am of the opinion that under certain circumstances and times of the year that the meat from Bull Elk can equal or very nearly equal that of Cow Elk meat.
If, harvested correctly, cared for properly and not over cooked.
There is simply NO portion or cut of meat on an Elk that is better eating than the Filet Mignon!
I am making myself hungry just thinking about some filet.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy