Originally Posted by m77
Thanks guys.

Great info. The reason why I am saying 400 yards is that I am using the rifle for walk and stalk hunting and we do hunt places like Namibia where you have open spaces that offer longer shots. I know I could have posted the question in the hunting rifle section but I thought that I will get a clear answer here. I want to avoid shots past 400 yards as the only rest I will use would probably be a tree. I just do not want to limit the rifles' capabilities.

Pieter

Pieter,
Give some thought to putting a Harris 25C bipod on your rifle or practice using shooting sticks. I use a bipod on my rifle on just about every hunt now just because it has come in handy so many times. After a while, I don't even notice the slight additional weight on the rifle when using it offhand for shorter shots and it only takes a couple seconds to fold it down and extend it for long shots sitting or kneeling.

In Africa, most PH's will carry shooting sticks for you to use on the longer range shots so practicing with them before hand might be a good idea.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.