Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by justin10mm
If someone wants to pick up the tab I'll volunteer right now to go prove a grizz can be taken with a .22 hornet.

In 1960 (at age 18), I was treed by a grizzly in a national park (I was a park employee). The previous week, there had been a terrible mauling of a ranger, the 12 year old son of another ranger and, a park visitor. That weekend, I went into town and bought a Ruger 44 Magnum (flat top Blackhawk) and started carrying it in an old WW2 backpack.

We'd run into grizzlies every few weeks or so, so I wasn't alarmed until it came toward me; I was hiking solo checking out a trail at the treeline.

Once treed for a few minutes (was it 2 minutes or 20? - I don't know, time goes fast when you are having fun), I shot the grizzly (probably a 400 pound female) 5 times from a distance of about 4-5 feet. She dropped from a standing position to the ground and I reloaded and fired another 5 times (probably not necessary). Now, if you want to use a 22 Hornet on a grizzly, go right ahead. I now carry a heavier handgun than a 44 magnum for back country hikes.

I'll be back in the same park in 2014 for a Smokejumper trail crew project and I won't be carrying a 44 Magnum. I learned my lesson 50 some years ago.

Good Lord! That must have been a change of underwear experience!