Reliable tents out of Billings MT was having their annual sale in February and I bought a 10x10 Teton with 4' walls. The friendly UPS guy dropped it off a few hours ago.

It has a pretty heavy duty floor but I am wanting to make a ground cloth out of poly tarp just to give the floor a little extra protection from rocks. My understanding is that I will need to make the tarp slightly smaller than the footprint of the floor to keep rainfall from getting in between the tent tarp and the tent floor.

I have a friend that is a carpenter and he always tells me, "measure twice and cut once" so please help me not to mess this up. Are there any steps that I am missing? Is there a better way of doing this? Here are the steps I plan to do:

1.) Put up my tent and measure the footprint. It will most likely have a finished size of 2-3 inches smaller than the advertised 10x10.

2.) Buy a 10x12 poly tarp and cut it so that it is 2 inches smaller than the footprint on each side.

3.) Put in some grommets that will be in line with the tent stakes and then tie in a shock cord loop in each grommet so they can be looped around the tent stakes that are being used to stake out the tent. I figure that one in each corner and one in the center of each side should be enough.