Originally Posted by J23
I can definately pick up a 32-40 reamer, that's no problem. I would at least need the slot cut into the barrel for the front sight; I wouldn't be concerned with the rear as I would be, more than likely, using a tang sight.

As BrentD mentioned, the #3 may be a bit heavy for a 1894 action, that was going to be one of my questions for the 'smith. I don't see on the Green Mountain website, any lighter contours bored and twisted for the 32-40.

Worst case scenario, I would take a new 26" round barrel, as opposed to the octagon. I am more concerned with having the 32-40 chambered rifle itself, I just thought an octagon barrel would be nice, and would match the 1892 (early 1900's vintage) 25-20 that I have. It wears a 24" octagon barrel.

MColeman, if you would'nt mind getting back to me via PM on some prices/options, that would be fantastic!

Thanks.

Chris and I talked about this yesterday. Brent has a point re: the contour. I am not familiar with Green Mountain's #3 and have no point of reference since a barrel maker can assign any value to any number that suits his fancy it really doesn't tell us much without dimensions.

Brent also has a valid point in relining. There are plenty of smiths that do this and do it very well. We, however, are not among their number.

In light of all this information and the fact that it's a radical departure from our normal jobs Chris and I think you'd be better served by dealing with a smith with experience along these lines. Be sure to ask for references and not just believe their sales spiel.

Good luck and we'd enjoy following your progress here.
Mickey