Folks,

I never thought it would happen to me, but it did. My house was burglarized earlier this week.

The theives hauled off my entire >600-pound gun safe. All my firearms were in that safe, along with all my hunting optics.

The perps used my hand truck from the garage. Destroyed some wood flooring and drywall in the process of removing the safe (safe must have partially tipped over on them). There were at least two vehicles involved. The police said theives can do what they did to my home in my in less than 20 minutes.

I'm sharing this info with you because I had always thought home burglaries were usually smash & grab events and that they wouldn't spend time trying to haul off a 600-pound gun safe when there was plenty of other, "easier" objects to be taken in my home. Consequently, I didn't bolt the safe to the floor. I'm suffering the consequences of that choice now. Oh, and they took all the "easier" stuff, too.

Here's hoping this post prevents this from happening to any other readers on the 'Fire.

I kept approx. $1000 of loaded ammo locked in a separate Homak gun safe (basically just a stiff sheet metal cabinet with two key locks). They busted into it and cleaned that out, too. Also took all my primers.

If you have already bolted your safe to the floor, good on ya! If you haven't yet, do it now!!