SpanielDog: My Leica laser rangefinder sure impressed me here a few years ago.
I moved to Montana 16 years ago and I met and befriended a long range Elk Hunter.
He asked me to help him set up a 1,000 yards range in a level, wind protected dry wash south of our home.
Out we go armed with stakes, hammers note pads and a brand new 100' steel tape. We carefully measure off the 1,000 yard range with stakes pounded into the ground every 100 yards for interim shooting.
He sights in his "big gun" and the need for the range at the longest ranges goes dormant for several years.
A few years ago my friend buys a new long ranger Rifle and out we go to the range but our 900 and 1,000 yard stakes have disappeared!
Well actually they just got grown over and we can't find them but NOW I have my Leica laser rangefinder.
We left a vehicle at the 0 yard mark and took another out to continue looking for the 900 and 1,000 yard stakes.
I ended up using the Leica to range back to the first vehicle and determined where 900 yards was from it. I soon found the remains of the 900 yard stake there on the grassy BLM valley and it read EXACTLY 900 yards from our shooting point.
Dittoes for 1,000 yards!
I was impressed!
So when I want to know if a Prairie Dog, Rock Chuck or Antelope is within my shooting range and I think I am going to have to refer to my guns trajectory chart I pull out the Leica and I KNOW what its telling me - is the TRUTH!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy