My first elk hunt was last year(my second one is coming up in Sept.). The biggest mistake I made last year was getting cow-fever and shooting AT her with the wrong pin. Ranged her at 68yards with a shot of 62 because of the angle. I had been practicing out to 80 and was VERY confident at 62. She walked behind a tree and into my lane, I drew, anchored, worked my pins down her shoulder and just remembered a big "68" in my rangefinder. Put the 70 yard pin on her heart and squeezed off. Arrow looked great, she wheeled and stumbled and I was excited as hell. Then she stopped 15 yards away, and there was no blood on her side, no arrow sticking out of her, nothing. THEN I remembered that the shot was only 62. It was still exciting as anything I've done in the woods before.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold