Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
MCH-

I have done a little bit of back-country stuff, and I most ski black and double black in Colorado. I have ability and the athleticism to ski hard, but lack the experience for the 'beyond the ropes' type skiing. Though I'm lookin' to change that. I take it the pow is wet and heavy? Moisture content?

When I lived in Anchorage a 17 ft' Alumaweld with a 150 HP johnson prop/jet made adventures possible. A bit small for ocean going, but it got to Pony Cove a time or two, and got a few mountain goats for friends. Even enough for some wild times on Lake Tustumena crazy

Most fishing done from a boat then? Any salmon runs in rivers?

Glenn -

I've had my share of bleeding heart liberals, so I know how to handle those 'people' grin

I have no quarrels with hunting hard, and that is my preference.

Is a vehicle necessary?

I don't doubt you abilities. I am just saying that once you meet up with folks to hit the backcountry be honest with them. If your the strongest link it should be known before the shtf as is if you are the weakest link. Safety is big to me. I lost a good friend on Mount MCGinnis.

I would say a car is needed. There is a bus system that covers downtown to the valley and Auke bay. Good luck telling your date you'll pick her up at the bus stop.

Oh certainly so. I did some back-country stuff up near Steamboat springs last year, and was open/honest about my abilities and knowledge. Had a blast, and was safe. (My motto is safety first, then teamwork grin)

Suppose if I don't bring a vehicle, what would I tow a boat with � crazy Good point about a date also.

So for goats in that area, do most tool from cove-to-cove and stalk em' ? Or is backpacking in an option?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS