Originally Posted by PAndy
Affordable handloading: this spring I was in need of supplies, so I did a little pencil-pushing out of curiosity. I need some new cases for a few calibers. Well, by the time I buy brass and bullets and other things, it will cost me very close to $1.00 per round to load rifle ammo. Rather than buying cases, I had an opportunity to buy some loaded ammo at $18 per box, so I went that route for a couple deer rifles. I will still handload as I have time, but it is nice to have ammo on hand just in case. Cheap handloading for us this summer is .38 special target loads!

Yep - 38 Special light loads are great fun and inexpensive. I stumbled on a 98% condition S&W Model 64 for $250 and load Berry plated bullets ($95 for 1,000) over 3.5 gr. of Red Dot (that's 2,000 loads per pound. I look for used brass at range stores (about $5 for 100 cases), but can't so anything about primers.

I can shoot 300 round at a time and not break the bank! I've got 4 other 38 Special revolvers, but the M64 is a regular shooter.