Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've currently got a heavy 18" barrel for competition, mainly for a smoother recoil impulse and it works fine for what I need. IME in competition an 18" barrel really doesn't give up anything to the shorter barrels on close and fast targets. Actual use in a vehicle and indoors a shorter barrel wins though, IME.

I've seen a guy regularly hit torso sized steel at 400 yards, offhand, with a 16" barrel. So I'm not convinced that an 18" is needed to make an AR useful at 500.

That sounds pretty reasonable from what I have seen. We took Kelly (our engineering intern) and Matt (Production Supervisor) to the range last week. Kelly�s 400yd group (3 shot) is on the right side of the dot and Matt�s is on the left.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TWR
I think the SPR as a whole was abandoned by those that wanted it. They figured a 16" precision gun saved weight and accomplished the same thing.

I have a Noveske SPR and a Noveske 16" light weight built as a Rogue hunter. The 16" weighs a pound less, gives up about 50fps and is just as accurate.

If we give the 18 incher a 50fps advantage at the muzzle it only keeps a 40fps advantage at 500yds (in my thin air). 10 MPH wind drift advantage is less than � MOA.

I also prefer the 16 inch length for the all around AR. It does everything really well.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.