Wyo & Boyd, you guys are nuts to take such a bet. It fascinates me that LR guys act bee stung when anyone mentions the common sense reality that a good marksman is more likely to hit his target at close range than at very long ranges. The world won't come to an end if you admit such a no brainer truth. You can still hunt long range. Honest. Anyone who believes the long range shooter will consistently over time outshoot the short range shooter either has a passion about lost causes or is in serious denial of reality. Fun bets are another thing.
<br>
<br>I am the guy who proposed the original version of testing hits on the same target at long and short range. None of the long range guys ever stuck to the original terms. They always had to fudge it a bit to give some edge to the LR shooter, such as MOA or this latest hedge of adding moving targets at the closer range. The issue here is RANGE and range ALONE, so all other variables should be identical except the range. My original proposal even had the same shooter shoot both ranges with the same rifle.
<br>
<br> If Taku shoots anywhere near as well as he claims, and so do you, you'll have shooters including long range target guys, lined up around the block to bet on Taku. You said deer vitals sized circle. In a circle, that's only about ten inches diameter, say 12 on a fair sized muley or a little more. Since range is the ONLY issue, targets have to be the same, conditions reasonably close to the same, etc. Shot for shot for 100 rounds. If you put them all in the circle, wonderful. My bet is that the good marksman shooting at 300 yards will put more of the 100 in the circle than you do at 1000 yards, and I'll bet you can't find anyone in Vegas who would buck the odds favouring the 300 yard shooter. Vegas odds makers are into reality in a big way, and you might consider it yourselves.
<br>
<br>DaveKing talks sense. Most of the other LR posters talk like some kind of weird cult who deny physics and have a persecution complex. Once and for all, you fellows can do it. No one is denying that a deer can be killed intentionally at 2000 yards. Once and for all, you fellows may do it. You have my tolerance, even a shrug, but if your conscience needs approval from others, (like certain special interest groups) that is a problem you'll have to solve for yoursleves. Once and for all, I don't plan to shoot deer that far, even if I could, and I think I could with practice. Good night.