Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
My next project is to go through Dad's safe and loading room. He passed away 3 weeks ago of a massive heart attack, very unexpectedly.

There are a few things that are extremely sentimental to me, such as his Belgian Browning A-5. It hasn't missed a dove season since the mid-50's that I know of, and it isn't going to start this year. Some of the other stuff I will have to talk to my boys about, and see what interests them. My sister and her family care nothing about his guns, but I know them nearly as well as he did. Mom and Dad just lived 2 blocks from me, and we talked loads and rifles all the time, constantly helping each other out, and shooting together.

I don't know, after bringing his stuff over and assimilating it, there may be some things in my collection I want to get rid of to make room for a project or two, I just don't know for sure what they are yet. I may start tonight, just looking and thinking and holding and remembering, and trying to decide where I go from here.

Thinking of that Browning always reminds me of this picture. I am older now, than Dad was in that picture. That '78 Ford was brand new then. Those were the first two doves I ever shot, and they were with that A-5.

[Linked Image]

Sorry to hear about your Dad, JP.I'm guessing that you and I are about the same age and I dread the days you're dealing with recently.

That's a great picture of you and your Dad and doves. Hold onto the memories and as much of his stuff as possible for now. Wisdom and memory will show you which things are most important-you can thin things down from there.

Thanks Bruin, I am 45.

Even though I am very sad about his passing, and miss him greatly, the thing that gives me comfort is that I know it was God's plan. I know that without a doubt. Through the clarity of hindsight, I can see God wrapping up all of the loose ends in his life over the last 6 months. He was a great father, a devoted husband, and a true man of God.