The less a cartridge is overbore (small diameter VS powder charge, like a 257WBY or 220 Rocket), the less a few inches of barrel length matters. Many of our really efficient cartridges - and the 9.3x62 is a VERY efficient engine - lose no appreciable velocity when cut from 24 down to 20 inches. I had a pair of Sako 222's once. One had a 26 inch bbl, the other had a 22 incher. The 22 inch barrel got HIGHER velocities than the 26 inch tube did. At some point it is more about how tight or smooth or rough a barrel is and the 222 is another one of those very efficient cartridges that just does not need a long tube to do its work. If a person had the money to buy and test five or more each of 20 inch and 24 inch barrels on the same number of 9.3x62 rifles, I would predict the velocity difference to be completely negligible and not statistically meaningful or measureable.

I just sold a 20 inch full stock CZ in 9.3x62 and REALLY WISH I could have afforded to keep it. Had to sell either it or my well worn but solid Model 71 Deluxe 348WCF so the 9.3 got shipped off today.

If I was healthy enough to go back into the dangerous game business, I would likely get my hands on another copy of that exact same gun again, modify it like I did my Current and well traveled CZ in 416 Rigby, and use that as my "older man's smile " big rifle.

Keep in mind as one reads the above, that I have been deer hunting with a 27.5 inch tubed 257ROY, did all of my dangerous game stuff with a 25 inch tubed 416Rigby, and my elk and black bear rifle is a 340 with a 26 inch tube. I love long barrels, especially on my rifles that burn lots of powder, but in my opinion one of the beauties of a round like this one is the ability to make a lighter, handier rifle that really can do it ALL, with aplomb.

My vote for a 9.3x62 is the 20 inch tube.

Last edited by safariman; 09/09/13.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500