How the rifle balances and fits the shooter is more important than some fixed notion of barrel length.

My only 9.3X62 is a CZ FS with the 20.5" barrel. I have always liked the rifle and it shoots better than I can hold it. It fits me better now after modifying the stock a little last winter.

Consequently, I can now shoot it better off-hand than any of my other rifles; even though it has the most recoil. The stock dimension changes were minor but they made a big difference in perceived recoil and how it holds and balances.

(The day this photo was taken I had just shot it at water filled gallon milk jugs at 130 (paced) yards from sitting, off-hand and an improvised rest. Missed only once in 12 or 13 shots and the miss was from the rest. Load was 65 g. of Big Game in Graf brass, Winchester Magnum primers with the 286 g. Hornady bullet at just over 2400 fps.) I am a mediocre shot at best so was very happy with the day's results.

[Linked Image]

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson