We measure here straight across at the widest point-and of course we round up to the nearest inch. Sometimes you have an odd sticker point that can add a small amount but we count it anyway. Some guys like to measure on the diagonal which can add quite a bit--but I don't allow that. Since I run the processing shop Iam kinda the unofficial--official measurer.

You can download Boone & Crokett score sheets off the internet, and I have several scoresheets here in the shop. I like that method of scoring because you get points for symetry and width of palm and mass of beam. But we really don't B&C measure many racks we just use the rough and ready width measurement.

I understand the racks do shrink a little and B&C requires a minimum 60 day drying period but I really don't know how much they change. Its just for braggin rights anyway, its not like we are holding a contest or anything.

I can tell you for sure that a moose rack doesn't lose anything in the telling of the story and some have been know to grow considerably after death.