I'm not much of a "chicken little" (pun intended) kind of guy but I also think this has been somewhat of a "sleeper issue" that's not getting the air time it deserves.

That the Greater sage grouse has declined in population is not in dispute -- but what's to be done about it is very much so.

Greenie groups have requested, and .gov has agreed, to make a decision by 2015 as to whether to list it as endangered under the Endangered Species Act.

With a range of nearly 50 million acres across 11 states, this decision has the potential to define the future of economic / recreational use of land in the mountain west, including nearly all public land in NV,UT,WY, & MT.

I am unaware of .gov ever contemplating a decision of this scale before.

[Linked Image]

The comment period is now open through 2014 on BLM management plans in the affected states.

See:

BLM table of state meetings / proposals

and

BLM PDF of five proposals

The BLM is accepting public comment on 5 proposals ranging from "do nothing" to "full listing"

The one thing everyone agrees upon is that "Do nothing" isn't going to happen.

The middle proposals are based on Utah's current management plan are likely going to need key support to prevent "full listing" from happening.

Be sure to comment during the comment period -- and attend the open house meetings if you can -- as this just may be the whole shebang in one shot.