Fire is one of the primary factors linked to loss of sagebrush-steppe habitat and corresponding
population declines of greater sage-grouse (Connelly and Braun 1997; Miller and Eddleman
2001). Loss of sagebrush habitat to wildfire has been increasing in the western portion of the
greater sage-grouse range due to an increase in fire frequency. The increase in mean fire
frequency in sagebrush ecosystems has been facilitated by the incursion of nonnative annual
grasses, primarily Bromus tectorum (cheatgrass) and Taeniatherum asperum (medusahead)
(Billings 1994; Miller and Eddleman 2001). The positive feedback loop between exotic annual
grasses and fires can preclude the opportunity for sagebrush to become re-established. Exotic
annual grasses and other invasive plants also alter habitat suitability for sage-grouse by reducing
or eliminating native forbs and grasses essential for food and cover. Annual grasses and noxious
perennials continue to expand their range, facilitated by ground disturbances, including wildfire
(Miller and Eddleman 2001; Balch et al. 2013), improper grazing (Young et al. 1972, 1976),
agriculture (Benvenuti 2007), and infrastructure associated with energy development (Bergquist
et al. 2007). Concern with habitat loss and fragmentation due to fire and invasive plants has
mostly been focused in the western portion of the species� range. However, climate change may
alter the range of invasive plants, potentially expanding the importance of this threat into other
areas of the species� range.

From a layman's perspective the previous quote, coupled with the Archer 1995 info, seems to indicate a lean toward global warming as a potential cause of both situations. Seems a bit far fetched to me. When I then read that some feel that non-native grasses are the cause of increased frequency of wildfires, with no mention of severely curtailed logging, I start to wonder if there's an agenda at work. Very interesting stuff, I guess my previous experience with USFWS biologists and their rather green agendas may have colored my reading of the paper somewhat.