Maybe just me... but I don't think bringing your dog's poop back to your driveway is particularly chick****. They wanted to tell you that they didn't appreciate your dog's "gifts".... Message has been received. Why does it matter who it is? I don't see why you think that someone owes you a knock on the door to talk about it. Why is it up to them to show that courtesy when you're not being very courteous yourself (dog-wise)??

As others have said, often (usually) a neighbor that lets their dog run free won't be contrite/apologetic if they get a knock on the door anyway, so why bother?? They probably didn't want a big confrontation... just want you to keep your dog to yourself.

BTW, I suspect that the rake thing wasn't really about the rake... it was probably about the dog too. Also, moving to the country doesn't necessarily make things better. I know folks who live on acreages who've had problems with the neighbors dogs coming over to their property and harrassing their own dog or their kids. Sometimes has ended in a dead dog & long feud.

I'm a dog owner now, but most of my life wasn't. Some life long dog owners think nothing of the odd errant peice of sh**... but I still think letting the dog out of the yard to do it's business is extraordinarily rude. Dealing with the crap is part of your job as the pet owner. That means it doen't end up on someone else's yard, or left in a park for some kid to step in.

Even if it wasn't them that brought the poop back, I bet other neighbors would be glad if you walked on a leash or kept your dog in a fenced yard etc.... So why be so upset at the person who delivered the message to you? I don't see how you've been wronged.

anyway, that's my $.02