Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I used that example to demonstrate that for some folks, a rifle is a constant companion, with them all year long. It needs to work everyday, and doesn't get babied. It may be cleaned once every 5 years, and live in a pickup when it's not being carried.....exposed to extremes of hot and cold, with kids and dogs climbing over it, food spilled on it, gear dumped on it, and basically be treated like a tool. If it randomly re-zeroes itself without warning, it's useless.

shooting coyotes on your own property to prevent stock loss, and for profit on their hides is not "road hunting". It's an essential part of ranch life, and something that happens hundreds of times everyday across the West.

Here's another example for those who may only use their rifles two weeks out of the year:

You're sneaking up through the junipers to get to the top of a ridge. Suddenly, a 30" Mule Deer busts out of the brush in front of you. He stops at the top of the ridge 200 yards off, just long enough for you to unsling your rifle, drop into a kneeling position, and fire. Oops, somewhere along the way, the brush turned your CDS turret. You miss the deer, and he's gone forever.

Of course, you could have reached back and checked your turret every five steps to make sure it's still on....but a better idea is to have a reliable turret.

You think kids will not twist on your M1s Maybe you need something with caps that can only be unscrewed with a monkey wrench and leave the turrets alone.

As to your example, I only tote one on a sling about 4 months of the year between deer and squirrel hunting, but have never had a issue. Neither has anyone I know who has one. That mountain your railing against is a mole hill.

Could it happen, sure, but given that we are dealing with leupold the scope could fail almost as easily. If I had a rifle that I just had to depend on day in and day out through the year it would probably not be a leupold. I would argue that a bullet proof scope is going to help you a lot more than a bullet proof turret on a leupold. For the four months a year when I am trying but failing to treat my gear with respect a CDS works pretty well.

Last edited by EddyBo; 12/02/13.