I think the most important thing to consider with Chi-com optics is the warranty and customer service.

China is now making really nice optics, but they are still behind the Western world in terms of quality control, whether by intent or circumstance. I firmly believe that as a country, they are more concerned with producing low cost items rather than ultimate high quality items. But, I also believe this will change over time.

I deal with Chinese products on a regular basis for industrial vehicles. QC is a constant problem, even when the parent company is European or American. We have seen repeatedly where Chinese vendors will supply HVPT (High Volume Production Tooling) parts that meet our spec, but as time goes on the quality starts to drift. Its always a game with them and requires constant inspection. They are capable of high quality products, but there is a cost. At a certain point it is no longer profitable to use China since that level of expertise to produce the desired level of quality can be had elsewhere.

If you buy a dud, you need the warranty and CS of the American vendor right after the purchase. Or if something fails on your binos next year, you want to make sure that the company is still in business. I think you need to evaluate this before buying any Chi-com optics. A nice pair of binos that cost $300-400 is money down the toilet if the vendor is not around next year.

Now having said that, I have a pair of Zen Ray ED2 that are awesome. I've compared them numerous times to my Swaro LRF and 8x32 NEU and the Zens are brighter at night and have less flare. There is nothing about the NEU that I found better than the ED2 other than size... BUT, I had an issue with the first pair of Zens. Didn't surprise me since I deal with Chinese parts on a regular basis. Anymore I assume that final inspection and QC isn't exactly a priority for many companies in China. I also know that if I want a good deal, this is the risk that you take and to mitigate the risk you just need to buy from a reputable vendor/dealer/"manufacturer". Easy really.

What was important was the fact that Zen Ray took care of the problem. Without the warranty and customer service I would have been stuck with crappy binos and a bad taste for Chi-com optics.

Jason