"Right now I can shoot a 4" group at 250 yards but my crosshairs cover about 3" X 3" at that distance and it is tough to shoot a<BR>real tight group with those thick crosshairs. "<P>JJ,<P>The crosshair thickness or what they cover is not a problem. Dave7mm listed one method. I use another. Since I don't care for the 4 peice pie method I draw a CROSS or PLUS SIGN, whichever you care to call it, slightly wider then what the crosshair covers at a set distance. It could cover 10" at 100 yards and it really wouldn't matter. In that extreme example all you have to do is draw a CROSS 10.5" wide. Alignment is simple. <P>I would suggest that when you make your own target you use an Orange or bright pink magic marker. The problem with black is that you may just have a bullet hole someplace in that black and you may not be able to see it, thinking you missed the target all together. Another reason is on real sunny days orange and bright pink colors are easy to see. <P>Another method of making a target for long range, past 200 yards, take surveyors tape (the orange tape) and make a square slightly larger then the coverage of your crosshairs. When you sight your crosshairs on the square you are looking for an equal amount of white in all 4 quadrants. I use pink tape once I get beyond 300 yards (making a square) and it works just fine. PLUS if your using a spotting scope, you can see the holes even if the holes are in the pink, so to speak [Linked Image]<P>Once I practice beyond 400 yards we made a square with the pink tape about 6" square and used that same square target out to 650 yards without any problems at all. <P>Not saying Dave7mm's method is wrong, just adding 2 additional methods that may work for you. <P>You have 3 variations, pick the one that YOU like the best and enjoy your practice. No need to change scopes.<P>I know you like a short barrel BUT a 24" barrel on your 30-06 would be a real plus. It's to bad factorys don't adopt the 24" barrel as a standard for the likes of a 270, 280, 06 and similar. Then again it's to bad they don't adopt a 26" barrel as standard (some do) for the likes of a 7mm mag, 300 win mag, 338 mag, 375 H&H and so on.<P>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove