I'm just starting to learn about loading for hard cast bullets and have a bunch of questions. Instead of listing them all at once, I'm going to try to keep this thread going by asking one or two at a time so none of them get forgotten.

I've been reloading cast lead bullets for my revolvers since the early 80s, but until recently, using only soft bullets for mild plinking loads. For max loads I've stuck with jacketed bullets to avoid leading issues. And I've never gotten anywhere near the accuracy with cast lead bullets (compared to jacketed), until recently.

A while back I started experimenting with hard cast bullets for a S&W model 29 and getting serious about hunting with it some day. With max loads I found I can get accuracy just as good as with jacketed bullets, and 150+ fps velocity using the same bullet weight and same charge of powder (for example, 300 grn Sierra JHC vs. 300 grn Hunter's Supply with 17.5 grns 2400).

Is it normal to get so much higher velocity from a cast bullet? It kind of makes sense in that the friction between the bullet and barrel could be less with the lube used for lead bullets.

Also, using 250 grn cast bullets with 20.2 grns 2400, I got nearly 100+ fps more with one brand of cast bullet vs. another. Is that kind of thing expected? What would cause that? Different bullet diameters or lubes maybe?

I just got a BFR Casull I've started loading for and have a bunch more questions, but I'm hoping someone will tell me what I've seen so far makes sense.