Originally Posted by McInnis

So, question - if I'll use this gun for hunting elk or maybe moose, with open sites which will realistically limit me to 50 or 60 yards max, how much if anything is that extra velocity over my handloads worth?

As others have said, you don't need that kind of velocity for successful hunting. A 255 gr flatnose bullet @ 900 fps will kill deer or antelope out to as far as you'll be able to shoot an iron-sighted revolver.

Back in the day, when I worshipped at the hardcast LBT altar, I used to drive this 300 grain bullet at 1325-1350 fps. This bullet was cast from wheelweights "sweetened" with 2% tin and cold water quenched for a BHN of about 22-23. It blew clean through every deer I shot with it, and only finally managed to recover a fired bullet when I fired it through a 12" aged/seasoned maple log into a tank of water:

[Linked Image]

You don't need that much hardness or velocity to kill medium game.

I now far prefer this bullet, cast of 1:20 alloy and air-cooled for a BHN of about 14. It's a HP-modified LBT WFN 300 gr bullet that drops from the mould at about 275 gr. I drive it at about 1050 fps from my Bisley. It's a soft-shooting load, but it penetrates very deeply in water jugs, and the hollowpoint should make it a devastating game-gathering bullet. I'll be using this gun/load in the January 2014 doe season.

[Linked Image]

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars