Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Sheister
Throwing in the Elk and Moose into the equation makes me think a 300 Mag of some sort would be a good investment. With the short action, this would be my idea-

Win 70 Stainless in 300 WSM, new PacNor Stainless barrel, mountain contour or just a bit larger, McMillan Edge stock in your choice of color combo, Timney trigger, custom bottom metal, Pachmayr decelerator pad.

Money left over to get a good scope, rings, bases and buy some reloading equipment and components.

Bob

The moose is an extremely long shot. I already own a 7mm rem mag model 70 and a Sako Finnlight 270.

Is the consensus for the Rem 700 action and custom barrel plus McMillan stock, or is there a better route for around $2500?

Concensus? Well, if you want a plasticized soul-less rifle with bolt parts which have a too high (for me) failure rate. For $2500 you should be able to buy a Winchester Model 70 super Grade, have it re barreled to any number of excellent calibers like 300WBY or other good fast hard hitters, get an top notch scope for it plus your dies and ammo and be SET.

Controlled round feed, Mauser claw extractor, fixed blade ejector action for me, settleds into a nice chunk of Walnut all the way!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500