I was noticing this evening that Fred Meyer is almost as bad as those shameless politicians. After buying some nice bits of beef sirloin and lamb for a pittance, I was looking for a sauce of some sort to go with them; the options are virtually endless. Why? Will people leave this God-forsaken, crappy-water, hell-hole if they can't buy Mucho Grande Garlic Pepper Ginger Marinade and Basting Sauce? ( grin ) I couldn't help wonder how much the mining camp of 100 years ago has changed........while it's development has come about at the expense of our little bush village. I hate what has happened to people who who survived for centuries while others came and died. I hate what we have done by making people dependent while making ourselves feel good through our Good Samaritanitise legislation. And I hate what the future holds for the wild places where people live, as energy costs threaten to destroy all but the few large population centers in Alaska. The wild lands will be left only for the wealthy to traverse.

Does that mean the refuge needs a road through it? I don't know, but I'm sure there are easily more than 17 miles of road in other places that are less deserving. I can think of 20% of that distance in my own locale that should never have been built. I'm sure there are at least a dozen other examples of an equal quantity in various other places in the state which make less sense, though perhaps more votes.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.