Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've got a minute and thought I'd explain what I posted earlier a little better, for conversation.

Something that I've learned in the last year is using only the amount of accuracy that you NEED and using it as fast as you can. How much accuracy you need will depend on the shot you're taking.

For example, let's say that at 7 yards I can make good nasal cavity shots all day, in 2.5 seconds from the holster. Now if I need to make that hostage shot I'll use all of my 2.5 seconds. But if I've got the entire bad guy to aim at, I can make two shots a whole second faster by NOT being as precise. Which is fine because if I have a whole bad guy at 7 yards to aim at, I don't need as much accuracy to put him down.

At 7 yards I can make torso shots as fast as I can pull the trigger by getting a good first sight picture and controlling the recoil. So it would be silly for me to slow down and aim every shot when I don't NEED to. In fact, I can make shots pretty consistently on a torso without sights, shooting from my side below my armpit.

I've been reading a book on shooting and the author made a good point that the whole "look at your front sight" line isn't always true. If I have three targets to shoot at three yards, I'll probably be looking at the target or even the next target way more than my sights. Because at three yards I don't need sights or precision aiming.

The less distance you have between you and your target the less time you have to get shots off. And you should need less time to get close shots off. It takes skill and time to line up iron sights for 100 yard shots. If you employ the same amount of skill and time in aiming at a bad guy at 10 feet, you'll take too long.

Obviously, it's great to be CAPABLE of great accuracy. The trick is knowing HOW MUCH of that accuracy you need for each shot and then using that much accuracy as fast as you can, as many times as you need to.

This...........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first