Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Obviously, it's great to be CAPABLE of great accuracy. The trick is knowing HOW MUCH of that accuracy you need for each shot and then using that much accuracy as fast as you can, as many times as you need to.

^^^^^ We have a winner.

As a rule I dislike absolutes when it comes to seeking the truth. Even the relatively well established "truth" that "water boils at 212 Fahrenheit" fails to describe reality as it doesn't take into account variables such as the purity of the water and external pressure. (Water easily boils at room temperature if the pressure is low, etc.) Does anyone really think that there is a "one size fits all" solution for all BG encounters?

After WWII the Russians were using their captured German scientists to help create atomic bombs. The Germans were excited that they had created weapons grade material of a much higher purity than was needed while the Russians were pissed that they had wasted valuable resources - including time - refining the material past what was needed for a big boom.

A shot fired in haste may not hit the target but if it buys you time it isn't necessarily wasted, either.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.