Somehow I missed this thread also.. Most of my small game hunting with centerfires for rabbits, tree squirrel and forest grouse has been with my .22 Hornet.. Very accurate.. Nicely takes the heads off of squirrel and cottontails.. Sometimes I load a lighter small game load, but often I use nearly full power handloads.. This little rifle has been a dandy..
It also has taken whitetailed deer and wild turkey..
I have tried the .222, but the Hornet works better due to the smaller case..
I used to load down my .22-250, but haven't done that since I got the Hornet in'95..
I also used several of the Marlins in .357, but sold both, as well as a Marlin .25-20.. Both were very fine, but I prefer a scope for my shooting so switched to the Hornet..
Sell wrote of using his .25-35 for tree squirrel with cast bullets.. It would be excellent, but I don't cast, so never tried my .25-35 on small game.
Paco Kelly wrote a little book called LEVERGUNS.. He discusses small game shooting with many calibers even the .348 Win. If you can find one it would be a great read... I have levers, but much prefer bolt action rifles.. Either way to me small game hunting up though turkeys is much more fun with a centerfire rifle...

Molon Labe