Originally Posted by bangeye
With those conditions I figure 1.2 inches with a load that is easy to throw together is good to go. Maybe I'm just getting to jaded about shooting any more.

A soliloquy in regards to your post, and this is just one man's opinion, and as we all know, opinions are like noses. Everyone has one, and many of them smell.

one hole groups,even at 100 yds., other than those as the result of firing one shot, would seem to be an aberration from a "commercial chamber", even a Savage.

I'd say your judgement is realistic, tempered by experience. I find that I'm not near as anal about miniscule groups as I was 20 years ago.

The enjoyment of firearms and all that goes with that can be an addiction. I try remember that this is for fun, albeit many times with a purpose, such as developing an acceptable load with a new powder/bullet combination for next season's hunt. For hog or deer sized critters, a load as described above launched at the velocity you described would seem to be optimal for making meat without waste at any reasonable distance.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.