as another former bike owner... ditto.... I didn't get a street bike until my mid 20's... I'd had dirt bikes for years. I was a very conservative and defensive rider... (anyone can say they'll ride that way, but it takes a fair amount of skill and vigilence). One day I stopped at a green light to let a fire truck (with siren blaring) through the red light... guy behind me was too engrossed in his cell phone conversation and rear ended me. Could've been worse... knocked the bike about 15 feet into the intersection, but I walked away. But, it's no fun picking yourself off the pavement from under the front bumper of a car!

In the 3 or 4 years I rode, I had another about 1/2 dozen close calls in addition to this one. All related to cars not driving carefully.... If you think other drivers are bad when you drive a car, it's much worse on a bike! Sometimes people look right through you and then lane change into you or pull in front of you. If wasn't for other traffic, riding a bike would be great.

Anyway now that I'm older with small kids, I won't take those risks (for their sake) ....

I'm amazed seeing so many young riders these days that are oblivious to the dangers... pulling wheelies in busy streets, or weaving through rush hour like they're on a road course. Superman complex meets Darwin. Just a matter of time.

Last thought, maybe you should print out this thread and show it to your wife... maybe will change her enthusiasm.

Last edited by Brent; 05/16/06.