Originally Posted by wareagle
I've always looked at detachable mags as one more thing that can go wrong. Be it lost, dropped, forgotten, whatever. It's hard to misplace a blind mag box.

I've heard the same thing said by others before. I think I even read it in an article written by a hunting rifle 'expert'. I would agree with the exception that I would never go hunting without a spare in my pack. I've never lost a mag to date, but realize it is possible (Murphy). I own blind magazine, floor plate and DM configurations. One could say that a floorplate latch can fail (under recoil or due to not being closed well) and lose all your rounds onto the ground. I've seen many in the bush with taped up floor plates on big rifles used for game that bites. I've never had an issue to date-- maybe because I am very careful to make sure the rifle performs before taking it afield and I make sure the floor plate is latched well.

My favorite is a blind mag. It saves weight and you don't have to worry about the scenarios above. Some will say that having to run live rounds through the action to unload is not safe. I would argue that you should always observe the first rule of gun safety.

YMMV

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson