I have come to view the perfect barrel length more as personal preference rather that any practical advantage one way or the other... smile

Some guys like short barrels and some guys like long barrels and some guys are forever trying to find the "perfect" compromise.

It's YOUR money, build what pleases YOU! If you build what pleases someone else, they will love it. Which does you absolutely NO good.

The .358 Win is likely my personal favorite as a hunting rifle. I have 3; w/20" barrels, 2; with 22" bbls, and 1 w/26" bbl. Guess I ought to build one with a 24" just to even things out... blush

Personally, I believe that the rate of twist is far more important than the barrel length OR the resultant muzzle velocity. As has been previously stated, if you must err, err on the fast side. A 1~12" twist will shoot light bullets better than a 1~16" twist will shoot heavy bullets.

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"