Originally Posted by Eremicus
The 10mm's SAAMI design pressure is 37,500 psi. All of the factory made guns were designed for this level of pressure. IIRC the 45 Super runs at 27,000 PSI. What is diff. with the design that would make it unsuitable to this pressure level while the 10mm is fine in your book at 37,500?

There are no ".45 Super" guns made by any of the significant makers of .45 ACP pistols. Springfield Armory labeled one of their 1911's '45 Super', assumption on my part is that it was made for the 45 Super cartridge or they would not have labeled it thusly.

I suspect it is because the ammo made for the .45 Super is way over the SAAMI level for +P .45 ACP ammo. Such ammo can be expected to damage a .45 ACP pistol. If not set up correctly... there is some difference of opinion as to what is 'correctly' While one can argue that limited use might prevent significant damage, such damage can not be reliabily predicted to happen at a certain number of rounds. Therefore, a person using such ammo is gambling on his gun working with it, especially when he'd really need it to work. You do know that Clark and others convert 1911's to 460 Rowland (and sell kits to do the same), which is in your 44 Magnum territory! While not a factory... in our litigous society I would again ASSume that Clark has proven that the platform will hold up to this round or he would have stopped long ago due to lawsuits.

If others wish to gamble with the reliability of their choice of handguns, that's up to them. Frankly, if I need more power than a standard SAAMI .45 ACP load will give me, I'll break out a .44 Magnum. Can not argue with your choice or decision not to go the Super route! E

Blue is my response,

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 03/18/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum