I used a .30-06 for 11 years straight w/150-180 gr bullets, mostly 165s, it always killed quite well.

I could see how it would be "too much" for some hunters who can't handle the recoil, but I tend to think "too much" has a lot more to do with handling recoil and being able to shoot a rifle accurately than anything else, some guys buy rifles that kick too hard for them so their peers don't think they're a "puzzy".

I've never had that problem, I've always shot what I like, and the .30-06 was my first love, I got it because I wanted it, then I learned to shoot it because I wanted to. I never thought the recoil was that bad, especially compared to a 12 gauge and slugs, the first "deer rifle" that I owned. grin

Some guys can and will use a .375 H&H on deer to great effect, that's too much for me though, my dad has been killing mature Wisconsin bucks every year with a .243 since 1976, he's also used a 7 Mag on 7 or 8 Mule Deer, but has since gone back to the .243 for all deer without any problems.

The reason he switched back, lots of surgeries left him weaker than he once was, his tolerance for recoil has gone down, plus he doesn't like dragging that heavy, long-barreled 7 mag around anymore, this hasn't affected his success rate one bit though.

On the other hand, my grandpa who's a towering 5'7", used a .300 H&H on deer and elk until he was 80, he can't hunt at all anymore unfortunately due to arthritis, but he was a hell of a shot with that old rifle.