Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
1) 45 or 9, neither of them are worth a poop for penetrating barriers, but that's not what a pistol is used for
9mm NATO typically has better barrier penetration than the 5.56 inside of 100 yards. It will also out-penetrate most .44 mag loads on barrier penetration. It's a seriously punchy little cartridge.

I am calling BS! I have shot a 44 mag and 9mm through enough cars doors to know it will not out penetrate a properly loaded 44 mag. A properly loaded 45 ACP in +P form will penetrate as good and sometimes better than 9mm on car doors.

...in my experience, i agree with this.

while the "tiny 9" is a fabulous round--and i've fired them completely through railroad ties--they can't hold a candle to properly loaded .44's and their ability to penetrate.

i've fired 290 gr hardcast pills completely through 14 inch diameter logs, and on through a jug of water behind that, and it continued on to plow into the earth, for an awesome display of penetration and power...

regarding the potential for penetration on car doors--i'll prefer the heavy .45 auto pills with appropriate construction (rather than the 9 mm)...

Last edited by Hi_Vel; 07/12/14. Reason: rather than the 9 mm

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...