Originally Posted by Palidun
I drew a tag in area 97 in Wyoming and since the 280 AI is my newest toy I want to use it. It is sighted in for 140gr. Partitions at present pushed to somewhere near 3100fps. I have plenty of the above mentioned 160gr. bullets but will I really get much in the way of improvement? I can easily get 2900fps with either of them. I don't mind working up loads for the heavier bullets and I like the BC of the 160gr. Accubonds. Would this bullet perform as well in the timber or would a Partition be preferred?

Palidun �

First, good luck on your hunt. Partitions or AccuBonds will both work, whether 140g or 160g.

That said, my choice was a 160g weight Speer Grand Slam for 20+ years in my 7mm RM. When I finally got a chrono I discovered my 7mm RM was launching at .280AI or even .280 velocities as I had backed off velocity to improve case life. Elk didn�t know the difference, with most dropping at the shot. The Grand Slams very reliably made two holes and it wasn�t until the last year I used them that I finally recovered one. That particular bullet destroyed both shoulder joints on a 5x5 bull and stopped up against the hide on the off side.

If in doubt, go with the Partition. I�d trade a little accuracy for confidence any day and chances are high that the difference in trajectory will be a non-issue.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.