Reading this thread is entertaining. smile

Start a 165 or 180 from a 30/06;use it for elk,and you are a sensible guy and a solid citizen who thinks straight and has all your shidt together.....likely you are a Consrvative, don't beat your wife and kids and are emotionally stable.The fellas who use a standard case of 308 dimensions necked to various smaller sizes occupy higher moral ground and look down their noses at anyone burning more powder... smile

You are such a wizard in the field that you can calculate drop and wind drift like Einstein,remain cool in the face of impending doom,and never, ever make mistakes in the field.A paragon of the rifle and hunting prowess.

Burn a lot more powder,make a 30 caliber bullet go really fast,get kicked more, in a heavier rifle,and you are a wise and astute rifleman whose manhood is secure because you can manage long strings of the drubbing and are an Iron Man who can lug 9-10 pounds of rifle up the mountain....makes sense to me! I did it plenty! smile

But, reduce bullet weight a few grains, add 6-10 grains of capacity over a 30/06 case,add a belt,and start slightly lighter and sleeker bullets at higher velocity for flatter trajectory and improved wind drift...all in a lighter rifle of more tolerable recoil,and suddenly you are:

-Compensating for a lack of intellectual acumen.

-Can't judge distance much beyond the length of their arm.

-Are incapable of dealing with more than 10-15 inches of bullet drop.

- Are a speed freak.

-Compensating for a lack of rifle related skills by buying equipment.(I suppose the same could be said for anyone who moves to a 308 or 30/06 from a 30-30 or 45-70). wink

- Are too weak and frail to manage more recoil or rifle weight than a gorilla on steroids.

- Are from the Dreaded City and couldn't find and kill a little old whitetail in the cornfields and little wood lots of Wild Missouri, like the Country Boys with a 30/06. (Set aside for the moment that the City Boys may have seen,passed on, and killed more bull elk in more places than the Country Boys have done in their dreams, or while flipping through the pages of Field & Stream).

- Are compensating for so many personal disorders (ranging from birth defects,lack of confidence,low testosterone, too much testosterone,insecurity,abuse as a child)that their treatment would cause a clinical psychiatrist to blink... blush

I sometimes wonder what Les Bowman, Warren Page, and Bob Hagel would have thought about all this.

(Especially Bowman who guided legions of elk hunters and watched the 300 Weatherby clients wound more elk than those shooting 270's,concluded the average clown could not manage 300 Weatherby recoil, so invented a cartridge called the 7mm Remington Magnum that gave more poop and shot flatter than the 270 or 30/06, recoiled less than the 300's and killed elk at long range with impunity; that his clients COULD shoot,and field tested it with his clients on everything from elk and moose to grizzly for several years before Remington brought it out. No City Boy, he, who did all this up in Cody. But he could never know as much as the Country Boys on the CF,now, could he?) whistle

These guys were among the the earliest users of the various 7mm magnums and killed piles of elk with them.Probably a lot more than the Country Boys on 24 CF....but WTH did they know? Not much I guess compared to the wizards on here... sick

But Page, Hagel, and Bowman never posted anything on the CF.

Amusing.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/20/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.