I'm going to throw a 3rd option out there.

Boone & Crocket reticle, if your a dedicated Leupold user. It has marks out to 500 yds with 10 mph windage holds to 400. With the right rangefinder, 500 yds should not be an issue.

Slidellkid, do you have a rangefinder? If not, I would suggest a Leica 1600 or 1600B. They both have a feature called EHR or Equivalent Horizontal Range. Each of the range finders has 12 internal ballistic curves. You pick the the curve closest to your rifles ballistic curve. One can get pretty close, especially if 500 yds is the max distance. The Leica's will take into account the temp, baro pressure and angle and give you an adjusted range to hold for. Example; your true distance is 450 yds but due to one or all the variables (temp, baro, angle), the range finder will first give 450 then, say, 411 yds. You then use the 400 yd crosshair with a skootch more holdover, say an inch, and you've got venison on the ground. No dialing. No worrying about the dial accidentally turning when you least expect it. No tall dials. Just point and shoot.

With that said, i'm a dialing fiend! I dial as well as hold over in moa for competition and LR hunting. I dialed a few weeks back to kill my spike elk at 950 yds. I own CDS, B&C and pure dialing scopes. I use them all and love them all.

Just another option.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 10/26/14.