passport;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you well.

With the understanding that I'm in no way an expert or pro at bedding and even though I've done somewhere around 5-6 dozen over the last 30 years I still seem to be learning I'd say this about that.

So I tape the stocks with painter's tape - green or blue, but have found "fresh" tape is better than stuff that's been in my shop for years.

I then clean off the excess with popsicle sticks that I've ground flat so they're like small scrapers you could say.

Then I use a cotton swab with white gas on it but use that sparingly as one doesn't want the white gas bleeding into the "good bedding" as it were.

When I just left the pieces that oozed out there to dry and then attempted to cut them off it seemed that I either managed to scrape the bluing or it would break off below where I'd wanted it to.

For the most part now bolt guns are pretty straight forward jobs but then too different actions seem to respond a wee bit differently - so stiffer actions like a Remington 700 are typically an easier job than a military 98 whose cut out makes it a bit more bendy in the middle.

The most "interesting" bedding jobs for me were fooling with a Mini 14 trying to get it to hit anything at all really and a full length stock muzzle loader. The muzzle loader was a treat getting out of the stock..... eek

Anyway sir, like the proverbial road to Mecca, there's a few ways no doubt and that was mine. All the best to you and good luck on your bedding jobs whichever method you choose.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"