Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by ingwe
I hate to repeat myself, but for you I will.

You need to spend some time on the street.

As hard as you may find it to believe, besides assault, theft, and all other forms of malfeasance, sometimes these people lie shocked ...even under duress.

I understand what you are saying.

No, I have no desire to spend some time on the street.

However, for those that do, I believe there is an expectation that they prioritize the safety and well being of the public at large, even those they are subduing, especially in the context of a petty crime being committed and a non-violent resist to arrest.

Had this guy had a gun or knife and was waving it around like a lunatic, OK, the knee to neck stays and he could be speaking in tongues for all I care - the expectation is he is going down and likely hard - a petty criminal selling cigarettes on the street in a non violent arrest? I dunno.

I guess it boils down to - is everyone you encounter as a cop a threat? Did Garner die because he was perceived as a threat? Did his actions merit his pleas to be ignored?

Garner died:

1) because he was morbidly obese with compounding health issues;
2) he resisted arrest, which resulted in severe physical exertion and some degree of restraint.

Neither, alone, would have been enough at that time. Together, they led to a fatal encounter.

Now, he could have lost weight and taken care of himself, or he could have not resisted arrest. Either would have negated the fatal outcome.

Can even you follow that logic?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.