Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Does anyone have any info on the .35 Winchester Self Loading rifle? my great grandpa had one and my great aunt now has it. I expressed interest in buying it and would like to know more about it, and I'd really like to know about reloading for it.
I believe it is a model 1905.

It's a little brother to the mighty .351 SL grin

Midway can special order brass from QCC, $68 for 50, and one month delivery.

Hawk Bullets does sell .351 diameter bullets, but they are intended for the .351, which can make 1700-1800 fps with 180gr bullets. I've carried my .351 deer hunting but I am not sure I'd use a .35 on deer, unless I knew the bullets would expand okay.

The 1905 was introduced, and underwhelmed everyone, which brought about the more powerful Model 1907 a couple years later. The 1907 stayed in production for a number of years, and was pretty well liked. There was a book published called The Forgotten Winchesters which covers these models. 1905's will be fairly uncommon in comparison, but I don't know if the rarity equates value in this case. The guys on the Winchester Collectors sub-forum may have more info.

I have two 1907's, both from the first year - one in decent shape, with a tang sight. The rifles were popular among police and prison guards. So far mine shoots minute of escaped convict for three shots, then starts stringing upward as the barrel warms, thoughtfully raising the trajectory as your quarry gets further away smirk

The 1907 is not easy to disassemble. I was glad I took mine apart as the firing pin was stuck due to dried oil. I suspect that's why mine was for sale at a low price. I've never taken a 1905 apart, but if it has the takedown feature on the rear of the action, use that to access the internals and make sure the firing pin, and rest of the action is free of dried oil. These are blowback operated actions, and hot-rodding of the loads is unwise.

Hope this is helpful. I too would like to see a .223 case blown out & necked to .357 caliber, and chambered in AR's.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 12/06/14. Reason: add photo

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."