Originally Posted by Dooger
Originally Posted by CLB
Originally Posted by Dooger
So how do you set your die to load 50 rounds to the exact seating depth off the ogive? Seems to me you need to make adjustments for every round.

YOUR measurment is off the ogive regardless of where the seating stem touches the bullet.

Once your dummy round comes out of your seating dies with the measurement you want, tighten the ring and load as many as you want.....you will need no other adjustment to your seating die for the same loads as you mentiond above.

The process is the same regardless of where on the bullet you get your measurement from. But, you will be better off going from base to ogive.

Does this help you?

This is what has me confused...sorry, I know I'm being a pain.

Seems like the ogive would vary per bullet in the same box, so of the 50 rounds you produce, maybe only 10 would be 2 thousandths off the lands, others could be 3, 4, 5 or even right at the lands.

Again, sorry. Just trying to understand this a bit better. In the past, I just used the marker technique, set my die from the tip and went to town.

We must have been typing at the same time. No need to be sorry!
Satisfy your curiosity by measuring the length of random bullets out of a box using a comparator. What do you like for bullets? You will be surprised how little that variance will be.

Base to ogive will prove to be your best bet...always.