Originally Posted by Dooger
I knew not to start at the tip.

I can't explain it really. I just figured that after I got the measurement with the gauge, the base to ogive measurement per bullet would deviate just as much as ojive to tip, therefore it wouldn't matter if you just set your dies with the dummy you create. I was trying to figure out how you guys were setting your seater dies to make sure the ogive contacted the lands exactly with each round without taking each and every round out of your seater die, measuring base to ogive, all without saying "that one needs .002 taken out, because the ogive to tip is shorter than the last bullet", then adjusting your die again and reseating the bullet depth a touch. I guess I assumed you were being much more precise.

That's the best way I can explain it.

I do now understand that the base to ogive measurement usually doesn't deviate much at all...assuming we're talking premium jacketed bullets.

Try it with SMK's. Holy crap I was about to lose my mind. They have the worst tips out there. A fella would be hating life if he adjusted the seater for every round. I actually emailed Sierra with a picture of about 5 bullets and they said "that's normal, don't worry" I thought "BS". BobNH rode my ass about them and well......he was right.

[Linked Image]