Originally Posted by prairie_goat
For instance, catch & release fishing is a much more acceptable pastime to non-outdoor folks.

I don't believe this is the case. I've never seen any hard data or even anecdotes to support this. In fact, I've read some opinions to the contrary, that it's more cruel to keep catching, handling, and releasing fish (with the resulting percentage of mortality) than to just kill them. And I'd much rather catch a wild 10-inch brookie from a back country stream than an 18-inch hook-scarred hatchery rainbow. It's just not the same.

Not to mention the fact that it's fishermen, not the non-fishing public, who push for and support catch-and-release. Because fishermen want to catch more and bigger fish, the same argument you're making for "C&R hunting."

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Especially when many hunters can't seem to understand why a person would shoot something and not eat it. Maybe these are the same types who take home every fish they catch; still stuck in a 19th century conservation mindset?

Probably not an option for head to toe orange, sit in a treestand with a pump rifle land. The concept wasn't envisioned as such.

You know, the mark of a solid argument is one you can make without impugning the other guy's intelligence and/or motivation. You should try it some time.

A wise man is frequently humbled.